[mythtv] RedHat 8.0 and hardware questions.

m0j0.j0j0 mythtv-dev@snowman.net
17 Dec 2002 12:41:57 -0600

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 11:48, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> Hash: SHA1
> > > Live TV with Myth isn't really usable for me. Large pauses 
> > every 5-10
> > > seconds. I've cut the capture resolution to 480x240 and 
> > still have the
> > > same problems. Nothing else is running at the time and the 
> > system load
> > > is usually 2-3.
> Are you saying that the load is 2.00 or 0.02?  If your load is 2.00
> then I think that's a clue to what your problem is...

Right, system load of about 2.00 for live-only TV. Not good...

During live-only TV, I have two main mythfrontend threads, one at about
50-60% CPU and the other between 30-40%. Nothing much else running on
this box.

During playback-only of recorded shows, I have one thread between
20-40%. Percentages seem to bounce around a fair amount in 'top' for

Live TV is super jerky with pauses every 10-15 seconds. Playback of
recorded shows is not as jerky, but still not right. I'm not sure if
it's the playback that is giving me the problems or the original *.nuv
files have issues and there's a problem in how my system is recording
them. I will attempt to play one of them on a different host.

Someone asked about my mainboard... it's a Asus A7S333. The system has a
AMD XP2100 and 256MB DDR PC2700. Should be quick enough. Also, running
RedHat 7.3 w/2.4.20 and Gnome 2 (Ximian snaps).

I'm not sure why Myth is consuming so many resources. I thought it was
disk issues at first, but now I'm clueless... I'll try and do some
benchmarking (someone suggested using 'bonnie') to see if I have some
hardware not performing up to spec. Any other thoughts?

Thanks much,