[mythtv-users] mythtv and zoneminder cameras

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Wed May 5 13:50:06 UTC 2021

On 05/05/2021 14:23, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> I've tried to do this also, I'm still on .29 and found information
>>> on setting up a network tuner with a m3u file, but I was not able to
>>> get it to work.  The contents of that m3u is
>>>
>>> doug at desktop:~/Desktop$ cat playlist.m3u
>>>   #EXTM3U
>>>
>>> #EXTINF:0,501 - Back Yard
>>>
>>> rtsp://camera1.drdos.info/live.sdp
>>>
>>> #EXTINF:0,502 - Driveway
>>>
>>> rtsp://camera3.drdos.info/live.sdp
>>>
>>> I have 2 cameras that I can use VLC to stream, so I tried to add
>>> channels 501 and 502 to Myth.
>>>
>>> I can select those a channels in Myth, but it does not provide a
>>> video stream.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in this as well, but do not know for certain if my
>>> version of Myth is compatible.
>>>
>> Ah, sorry. Forgot to include my version:
>>
>> mythtv at jade:~$ mythbackend --version
>> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>> MythTV Version : v30.0
>> MythTV Branch :
>> Network Protocol : 91
>> Library API : 30.20181231-1
>> QT Version : 5.11.3
>> (snip)
>> mythtv at jade:~$
>>
>> I'm using Debian Buster and the deb-multimedia repo.
>>
>> I really do have an upgrade on the 'to do' list but time, etc. and it
>> isn't (yet) broke.
>>

> I am working on a setup that records from a camera into MythTV using a
> black box external recorder and ffmpeg. It is working well, I can
> share the scripts with you.  There is the problem that only one thing
> can access /dev/video0 at a time, so if vlc is running and showing the
> camera, the script cannot access it. I don't know how zoneminder
> works, but if zoneminder has the camera then likely your mythtv script
> would not be able to get it. Do you have a solution for that?
>
> Peter

The OP is talking about IP cameras that broadcast the video stream over
rtsp or similar protocols. All the IP cameras I've used have had no
problems streaming to several clients at the same time.

ZM can also use cameras that use v4l2 interface that use for example
/dev/video0 and you are probably right they can't be shared in a same
way although ZM does make the live stream available to any clients and
that is what mythzmserver uses to get the live video for those streams
although it is usually restricted to 10 or so frames per second rather
that 25/30 the cameras typically capture at.

Paul H.