[mythtv-users] Stupid Fire Stick Match Frame Rate feature

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 19:21:52 UTC 2021

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 3:05 PM Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

> On 28/03/2021 14:18, Peter Bennett wrote:
> >
> > On 3/27/21 5:02 PM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> >> Apparently my TV can pass through only stereo. How does the splitter
> >> idea work? How would one arrange which branch the EDID is fetched from?
> >
> > Did you check the TV settings? My TV has a setting for digital audio
> > output. You can select bitstream or PCM. If you select PCM you only get
> > stereo.
>
> I was mainly basing my claim on several posts on forums regarding people
> trying to do this with the same make of TV. I've tried it myself now,
> and I get silence unless I set the FireTV to output stereo. I've also
> now looked for a setting in the TVs menus and see nothing there, and
> there's a pretty obvious place where it would be.
>
> Still, when it arrives, the splitter may well do the job, and the good
> news is the fps-match feature does look to work perfectly when the AV
> received is out of the audio path.

Several things.  I did a factory reset on my Shield TV and started
reinstalling only what I needed and then set the Quick Settings to ave the
Match Framefate (Beta) option as the top setting. So now if I'm doing
Netflix, I can set the European content to the correct Framerate. It
sometimes takes multiple tries.

Second, I installed Kodi 19.1 on the Shield TV and got the Netflix and
Prime Video working because Kodi can match the famerate correctly
automatically. That's a good solution as well if you like Kodi.  And of
course, Mythtv addon works great on Kodi.

3rd I ordered another FireTV 4K and it should arrive tomorrow.  That should
solve all my problems based on what my wife's TV does.  Hopefully no issues
on a UHD TV.

I'm going to get her to hide the Shield TV where I can't find it before I
run over it with my Car to put it out of its misery.