[mythtv-users] Culling my MythTV channels

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 21:32:29 UTC 2021

Fred Hamilton <fred at yonkitime.com> wrote:

> But right now I'm just struggling with the big picture, like I'm not even sure if mythfilldatabase is even needed with xmltv/json.  I guess it is since 'mythfilldatabase --only-update-channels' is the only way I know to get updates, but then it re-adds any channels I've deleted or hidden.

It's still needed.

Referring to my earlier message, the command my script is using is :
> mythfilldatabase --only-update-guide --sourceid 1 --file --xmlfile ${xmlfile2}

I'm assuming that --only-update-guide means it should do nothing but add the scheduling data to the database - not update channels or anything like that. The program help is terse and just says "Only update guide data". I would have thought that --only-update-channels would be the exact opposite of what you want since according to the program help that specifies "only update channel lineup" which I'd interpret as updating channels but not loading any listings.

I call it from a script as that allows me to do "stuff" before passing a file to mythfilldatabase - in the backend settings, you can specify a script to be run to grab listings.

Simon