[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Connect 4K?

David Engel david at istwok.net
Thu Mar 11 02:26:51 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 09:26:00PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 6:04 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
> > Is that intended to only be a temporary change?  Your phrasing pretty
> > strongly implies that it is.
>
> btw, TTBOMK, this "adjustment" is only
> to the modern streaming channel numbering
> (because the SD ecosystem only uses
> the modern streaming protocols).
>
> I would guess that applications that tune
> by freq/pid would presumably still get the
> raw data and they would need to parse to
> determine the major.minor (which likely
> overlaps the existing major.minor for
> the local ATSC 1.0 broadcasts).

Current MythTV still needs some work on the recording side to support
the HDHR 4k.  While it can tune by virtual channel number, it still
pre-allocates a tuner, now from a pool instead of a fixed tuner like
before.  However, unless SD has updated their API, I don't believe
there is a way for MythTV to request a tuner from the "right" pool.
The result being that MythTV could sometimes be given an ATSC 1 tuner
when it needs an ATSC 3 (or vice versa) one and cause the current (or
a future) recording to fail.

David
--
David Engel