[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Connect 4K?

David Engel david at istwok.net
Thu Mar 11 02:16:17 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 06:39:52PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 6:04 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
> > Is that intended to only be a temporary change?  Your phrasing pretty
> > strongly implies that it is.
>
> SD did not make it clear themselves as
> to their future plans.  Their wording
> at the time of the change suggested
> that when ATSC 3.0 moves out of
> the current testing modes, and all
> the usual apps start supporting AC4
> and HEVC decoding they *might*
> as people would expect "the best quality
> possible" when selecting a channel.
> But they were sufficiently wishy washy
> that I simply am not sure (they may
> also choose to change their apps to
> support additional selection criteria).

Sooner or later, someone at SD is going to have to handle scheduling
of their asymmetric tuners.  I curious how they're going to eventually
handle it.  For MythTV, having separate, virtual, channel numbers
would probably be an acceptable solution.

> This is still a WIP (and, btw, the most
> amusing issue to me is that it turned
> out there are broadcasters using HEVC
> interlaced, and pretty much no app
> supported that properly (only LG TV's
> did it right).

I believe Mediacodec on the Nvidia Shield, at least with MythTV,
handles is correctly.  I wasn't happy with the 1x deinterlacing done
by Handbrake when transcoding some 1080i, TV recordings to HEVC a
while back.  I eventually used ffmpeg to do the trancoding instead and
preserve the interlacing.  The results played fine for me.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net