[mythtv-users] trouble with CSPAN channels

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Mar 10 16:49:37 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 11:41 AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That, too, is likely to change, as more
> and more people do not want to pay
> for others' sports viewing.

I'm fine with that. I voted against the taxpayer-funded stadiums even
though I am a fan (I am opposed to all forms of corporate welfare), and I
agree that people should not be forced to subsidize other people's
recreation choices (so I oppose things like taxpayer-funded rec centers,
and particularly the municipal golf course where everybody subsidizes the
recreation choice of mostly rich white guys; that makes no sense at all).

>  the ability of the content
> owners to hold those channels hostage
> if a provider does not agree to pay the
> sports taxes).

We're experiencing something like this now, where Altitude TV and Comcast
are having a dispute where each side accuses the other of being overly
greedy and acting in bad faith, but the end result is that Comcast is no
longer carrying Altitude. This, combined with the blackout rules of the NHL
and NBA, make it impossible for us to see any Colorado Avalanche or Denver
Nuggets games (other than a few where a national network such as NBCSN has
negotiated rights).

> No personal experience, but there are
> claims YTTV allows you to watch a
> recording in progress

I am going to sign up for a free trial and check that out. They might even
have CSPAN-2.

> If you are in the Denver market, check
> to see if channels 169 and 170 tune
> on your Prime

They do not even appear in my lineup. I double checked and verified that I
have enabled them in Schedules Direct. To be sure, I just ran
"mythfilldatabase --only-update-channels", but they still are not there.
Since the switchover to XMLTV, I no longer know anything about how
mythfilldatabase works, so I have no idea what could be wrong or how to
troubleshoot this.

 You might need to
> run another HDHR channel detect to
> update the CableCARD map(s)

I poked around and figured out how to use the little web server on the
Prime (I never knew that was there). If I run a channel scan, channels 169
and 170 are found, but they are not in my database. Any ideas on how to fix
this?

> If you have a streaming device that
> has the Xfinity Stream app (not all
> devices have the app) you may be
> able to watch CSPAN (and 2/3) on
> that for "free" with your Comcast
> subscription.

I'll see if my Roku has that; it would be a cheap fix and would be
acceptable for the WAF.

--Greg