[mythtv-users] Important: Changes to Metadata lookup in March 2021

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 03:44:53 UTC 2021

Hoi Barry,

Monday, March 1, 2021, 2:51:44 AM, you wrote:

> Jay:
>

> I resolved this issue.  Turns out I need a newer version of Python2.7.
> Trusty only provided version 2.7.6.  I was able to upgrade to version
> 2.7.12 using the following commands:

> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fkrull/deadsnakes-python2.7
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install python2.7

> The Python ssl package is built into Python since version 2.6 something
> or other, so the only way to get a newer version is to upgrade Python
> itself.  Luckily, 2.7.12 is new enough.
>

> I’m going to stick       my head out and try to make a suggestion
> based on something Roland       suggested in my sub-thread. I’m
> using Ubuntu 18.04 and Python       2.7.17. Anyway, paraphrasing
> what Roland said, Ubuntu pre-installs       but not in the active
> python environment. While upgrading my       system       said the
> dateutil module was installed but the MythTV metadata       wasn’t
> able to find it (gave an error message).
>
> What worked for me       is this (and yes, some beginner level notes):
>

>   Manually               install:
>
>   1.  At                 Python site                 download the
> actual file (tar.gz). [D/L to own subdir               ==>
> Downloads/Python or something to make easier to               work with               later].
>
>   2.  Extract                 the file                 [within
> the special               subdir OK]. Double click,                 extract button at upper left.
>
>   3.               cd into the first/main level of the extract –
> verify               setup.py is in               there.
>
>   4a. Open Terminal –                 pull a first dir level file
> into Terminal to obtain                 path; trim and
> put ‘cd’ in front – now in that extract.
>
>   4b.  Now                 the sudo                 python2 ./setup.py install (next step).
>
>   Hope             that helps
>
>   Barry

I think the issue here is that somewhere last year officially python2
is deprecated.
Obviously some package builders have taken this as not even checking
at installing a python module on whether the specific system still has
python2. They cannot check on if it is still used, but they should
install on every python variant supported by the package that is
present on the system.
So in general installing python2 modules through a package should be
deemed unreliable. You have to use the methode described above.

Long live the capitalistic thinking that says to replace things on
economic expenditure, not on physical.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven