[mythtv-users] Important: Changes to Metadata lookup in March 2021

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 01:51:44 UTC 2021

Jay:
> I resolved this issue.  Turns out I need a newer version of Python2.7.
> Trusty only provided version 2.7.6.  I was able to upgrade to version
> 2.7.12 using the following commands:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fkrull/deadsnakes-python2.7
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install python2.7
>
> The Python ssl package is built into Python since version 2.6 something
> or other, so the only way to get a newer version is to upgrade Python
> itself.  Luckily, 2.7.12 is new enough.

I’m going to stick my head out and try to make a suggestion based on
something Roland suggested in my sub-thread. I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 and
Python 2.7.17. Anyway, paraphrasing what Roland said, Ubuntu
pre-installs but not in the active python environment. While upgrading
my system said the dateutil module was installed but the MythTV metadata
wasn’t able to find it (gave an error message).

What worked for me is this (and yes, some beginner level notes):

*Manually install: *

*1. **At Python site download the actual file **(tar.gz)**. [*D/L to own
subdir ==> Downloads/Python or something to make easier to work with
later*].*

*2. **Extract the file [*within the special subdir OK*].*///Double
click, extract button at upper left./

*3. cd into the first/main level of the extract – verify setup.py is in
there.*

*4**a**. **Open Terminal – pull a first dir level file into Terminal to
obtain path; trim and put ‘cd’ in front – now in that extract.*

*4b. **Now the */sudo python2 ./setup.py install/*(next step).*

Hope that helps

Barry