[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 18:48:57 UTC 2021

FWIW, I've been a Myth user for many years - my current system for over 12 years, but I know I was playing with it before then but did a fresh install without keeping the old database.
At Christmas, one of our daughters bought SWMBO a Firestick (prompting a quick reconfig of the network to keep it isolated). So now we do watch a certain amount of streamed stuff.

Peter Carlsson <peter.jm.carlsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to see MythTV as the hub of a system, partly with
> a focus on being able to more easily integrate different sources
> for streaming services (free/paid), and partly with a focus on
> being able to more easily integrate into any frontend.

The problem there is that all the streaming services want that not to happen. it's not a case of them being ambivalent, or not wanting to co-operate - they actively want it not to happen.
This is partly from a security PoV - they want to control the playback platform and thus enforce restrictions. And it's partly to do with enforcing the branding. But it's also do do with "being the dominant player" and making it as hard as possible for new entrants. If you have a "universal hub" then it's easy for new entrants to get added, and if it's clever enough, just appear as "more available stuff".
So I can't see an open system like Myth ever getting to the state where it's your central hub for all services - and there's the risk that if it tries, one of more of the streaming providers will sue the s**t out of the project. Heck, even discussing how to watch the content from a streaming service (even with a valid subscription) can get the project shut down with DMCA abuse - and that's why discussion of topics like the use of CA cards (even where completely legal) is not allowed.

Simon