[mythtv-users] Can't connect to remote backend database

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 21:57:31 UTC 2021

I've resolved this. Thanks very much to those who provided help. I was
being a bit dumb!

Thanks to Stephen who showed me how to see which users I have. I thought
here would be only one mythtv user but I have two:

mysql> select user, host from user;
+------------------+-------------+
| user             | host        |
+------------------+-------------+
| mythtv           | %           |
| mythtv           | 192.168.0.% |
| debian-sys-maint | localhost   |
| mysql.infoschema | localhost   |
| mysql.session    | localhost   |
| mysql.sys        | localhost   |
| root             | localhost   |

I'd assumed that the mythtv password for the backend would be the same
password as for the frontend. But now I understand they're actually
different accounts and with their own password. So I reset the password for
mythtv at 192.168.0.% and now the remote frontend can connect just fine.

Thanks again for your help, everybody!