[mythtv-users] The future of MythTV

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 01:44:14 UTC 2021

I have to mostly agree with the previous points both as a user and previous
maintainer of MythTV on RPM Fusion.

The up front setup can be quite difficult and honestly, if my system took a
dump, it would take me quite some time to fix it.

I've already given up on live TV playback. It broke some time ago and I
fixed it, and then some time later it broke again (exits pretty much
immediately) and I've just stopped worrying about it. The only time it
matters is for a special live TV event like the superbowl. Everything else
we just watch "later".

That brings me to my second point. I don't use the frontend anymore in
favor of Plex. All of my TVs either have a Roku box, or have it built in. I
think the "frontend" game is basically lost. Like others LIRC has become
hopelessly broken and I just don't have time to "make it work anymore".
I've previously conveyed that I thought of MythTV as  Labor of Love, but I
just can't devote the time to it anymore. I just need things to work.

So what does that mean? I would like MythTV to focus on the things it does
best, record things. I would LOVE the mythweb to direct backend
configuration to get the attention it deserves and FINISH!

I would like Plex integration to be seamless.

Those are the things that will keep me using it even though I don't
maintain the RPM Fusion packages anymore.

Thanks,
Richard