[mythtv-users] Ceton vs multirec questions

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 04:54:40 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 11:40 PM <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

> Ah yes, I vaguely recalled it was something more complicated like that.
> My current (old) cable boxes, FWIW, are Motorola units, and I'm in a
> Boston-area market, whereas my impression was that Cisco/Scientific
> Atlanta were typically other areas of the country?

For various reasons, the hardware vendor of the franchise when
Comcast originally acquired it (back decades ago) typically is still
the one in use today.  If your CableCARDs say Motorola, Arris,
or Commscope (at different points of the corporate acquisitions)
you are not currently expected to see the issues no matter
the CableCARD firmware (as far as have been reported, only
a specific Cisco/SA (now Technicolor) firmware level commonly
experienced the issue).  And the issue was eventually resolved
with new(er) CableCARD firmware (which eventually got rolled
out even though the tuner vendors also had a quicker firmware
rollout).

> [A few days ago, I did an "availability scan" (I won't call it a
> "channel scan" because that means something different) in which I wrote
> a script that simply tuned to every channel returned by SD's XMLTV
> service for my zipcode, and reported flags, e.g., "Copy Free", "One Copy",
> "None".  The "None" results seem to be (a) a gaziiiillion Major League
> Baseball and NBA channels (don't care), a metric ton of international
> channels (ditto), a few local origination channels (eh? aren't those
> usually random community television?), COMEC (the "Comcast Employee
> Channel" :), and a very small handful of movie channels.  (Full list if
> anyone cares; 244 callsigns.)  So I wonder if this affects me at all.

If you are not subscribed to a channel, or the channel is
one of the "gazillions" of IPTV only channels, the CCI
flag results are likely meaningless (since you can't actually
tune/decode them, you can actually validate the status).
But, as above, it will not matter if you are in a Moto area for
those channels that you subscribe to and are still offered
via linear QAM (for Comcast, that is a slowly shrinking
number as content moves to IPTV only).

> How would I do that?

Request the current rate card

   https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card

(you may need to login to your Comcast account)
and review it, and if there is still a line item
buried somewhere in the many pages of a
"Service to Additional TV" (of around $10)
you are not S&E today.