[mythtv-users] Ceton vs multirec questions

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Jul 28 18:46:53 UTC 2021

    > Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:15:00 -0400
    > From: Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com>

    > When using a cable card, the Ceton can only record one channel per
    > tuner. If you set Max Recordings to more than one, the pre-roll or
    > post-roll for two consecutive recordings on the same channel can be
    > accommodated with one tuner, where in previous versions that would use
    > two tuners or ignore the pre and post roll if there weer not enough
    > tuners. The "schedule as a group" setting, which is now default, allows
    > the system to dynamically increase the "Max Recordings" settings when
    > the same channel is needed for two recordings at the same time. When Max
    > Recordings is more than one, extra (virtual) tuners are created and
    > shown in the status.

Got it.  For some reason I thought that trick wouldn't work with Cetons.
I'm happy that it does.  (If I'd been running at a higher debug level,
perhaps I'd have seen logging to that effect, or I might have been able
to figure it out based on which tuners were in use based on when things
were written to the filesystem.)

    > Multiplexes exist on the wire and the ceton shows them as multiple
    > programs per channel, but MythTV cannot take advantage of this to record
    > several programs from one channel on one tuner because of the decryption
    > done by the cable card, which will only decrypt one program of a channel
    > at a time.

This now makes sense.  Thanks!