[mythtv-users] Video storage groups question....

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Fri Jan 15 20:48:13 UTC 2021

On 1/15/2021 00:09, stinga wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I struggle with video storage groups.
>
> I have 4 drives and each drive shows up as 4  separate dirs when I go to videos.
> This makes it hard when you want to watch something as you need to know what disk it is on.
>
> I suspect I am not setting it up correctly.
>
> To get around this, I am creating a dir that is full of links to the original storage groups, but this takes a while to populate and does not seem to be correct to me.
>
> I was sort of expecting a similar thing to recorded shows, where mythtv provides a list of things to watch and I don't need to care what disk they are on...
>
> Any help for me? Am I setting up something incorrectly?
>
> MariaDB [mythconverg]> select * from storagegroup;
> +----+-----------+----------+--------------+
> | id | groupname | hostname | dirname      |
> +----+-----------+----------+--------------+
> | 67 | Videos    | mythtv   | /sg/mv1      |
> | 83 | Videos    | mythtv   | /sg/movies   |
> |  5 | Fanart    | mythtv   | /sg/fanart   |
> | 69 | Videos    | mythtv   | /sg/mv2      |
> | 65 | Default   | mythtv   | /sg/tv2/tv/  |
> | 66 | Default   | mythtv   | /sg/tv3/tv/  |
> | 77 | Coverart  | mythtv   | /sg/coverart |
> | 10 | LiveTV    | mythtv   | /sg/live_tv  |
> | 81 | Videos    | mythtv   | /sg/mv4/     |
> | 82 | Videos    | mythtv   | /sg/mv3/     |
> +----+-----------+----------+--------------+
>
> The DB is years old and comes originally from KnoppMyth so has been through a few changes in its lifetime and on various machines.
>
> --
> 'ooroo
>
> Stinga...(:)-)
> Email: stinga+mythtv at wolf-rock.com  o
> You need only two tools.        o /////
> A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
> doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
> the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
> shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\

I suspect you still have per frontend settings for video directories. To find out, go to the following from the main menu on your frontend:
Setup -> Media Settings -> Videos Settings -> General Settings
Once there, you will see things like:
Directories that hold videos
Directory that holds movie trailers
All of these "Directory/Directories that hold" settings should be blank. If they are not, they override your storage group settings. To fix each one that's not blank, use a keyboard, select each non-blank entry, press Enter, erase the contents using backspace, cursor down to OK, press Enter. Once that's done, I suggest doing a rescan from the command line:
$ mythutil --scanvideos
Wait until your system's cpu is 99% idle, then go into "Watch Videos".