[mythtv-users] Series/Episode numbers in MythCenter-wide theme

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jan 15 15:07:08 UTC 2021

On 15/01/2021 14:55, Barry Martin wrote:

> Hi Paul!
>
>> I could look at adding the same info to the MythCenter-wide theme as
>> well. One problem is the Xmas themes are my themes so I can do what I
>> want with those. The MythCenter and MythCenter-wide themes are part of
>> the base install of MythTV and so are owned by the project.? Some users
>> and some devs generally don't like change and get really pissed off if I
>> change too much in those themes:(
>>

>> I guess if a majority wants it added then the moaners with just have to
>> put up or shut up - they can always create a MythCenter-classic theme if
>> it bothers them to much:-)
>
> <chuckle>  Now you've opened that can of worms!  First, we loved the two Christmas themes and
> switched between the two, so a big Thank You!
>
> To us the season and episode number on the main menu aren't important but would like to see the
> total run/recording time. Also would be nice to be able to adjust field/font sizes individually, or
> at least the main menu and closed captioning independent.  We like to see the recorded "Fri 1/15"
> and to get that all to display have to decrease the size of the Closed Captioning.
>
> So here's a proposal for us 'moaners' (I know that was said in jest) as can't please everyone would
> it be possible to have an options menu? Season/episode -- yes/no.  Runtime - yes/no. Maybe certain
> constant items like recorded date have a large/small [font size] option.  I know: a lot more work
> but may solve the noise issue.  (Just thought of positioning issues: if select season/episode and
> not runtime may have a column space -- ah, gives us something to moan about! <gg>)

I use MythCenter-wide and have not seen either run times or start+stop times for a long while.

Some time ago I modified it to show start+stop times; at least that way we could figure out how long
a program was before starting it. That disappeared during an upgrade because I forgot it was there.

The only other alternative was to start the program and then do 'I'. That got old very quickly.

I am surprised that nobody else has mentioned this one. Bringing back one, the other or both would
solve a number of problems.

I'm not sure that the themes can accept options, at least without a fair bit of coding behind the
scenes. The function would have to read and write XML in the frontend, plus guess what options
people would want to change. Laying out a theme isn't trivial.

--

Mike Perkins