[mythtv-users] Mythtv on Rock Pi X

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:25:05 UTC 2021

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been looking around for suitable low power frontend systems which
>> can do HD video and involve minimal effort to setup (i.e., I can use
>> the distro I have been using).  I have some existing ECS Liva systems,
>> but they fail a bit at a time until they die, and 2G of RAM isn't
>> enough for sustained usage, especially when editing recordings to
>> ready them for clipping. Typically Mythfrontend grabs a little more
>> memory, then a little more, until kswapd goes to 100% CPU, and I have
>> to power-cycle the frontend.
>>
>> I heard recently about the Rock Pi X, an X86 single board computer
>> with the same size and port locations as a Raspberry Pi, so I thought
>> I'd give it a try.
>>
>> I opted for the 4G board with 32G of onboard MMC storage ($75).  Of
>> course, I had to add a case with heat sink and power supply, bringing
>> the total to around $132.  That doesn't include an RTC battery (on
>> order), which isn't necessary, but still handy to let the system
>> retain its CMOS settings and RTC time when no power is connected.

A year and a half ago I bought these devices and they work very well as front ends for mythtv:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8KK7NT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q8KK7NT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

They are ‘mini pcs’ that use the Z8350 processor and were $110 when I bought them and came as complete pcs with windows installed on them. I did not use windows on them as I backed it up and then installed xubuntu on them. I bought them on ‘lightning’ deals for $110 complete with power supply and an IR remote( I don’t use the remote).

There is certainly a time savings buying this type of ‘mini-pc’ .

While the one I bought is currently unavailable, there are references to current ones for sale on the page above.
Here is one that is available today for $109:

https://www.amazon.com/Z83-Pro-Computer-x5-Z8350-Processor-1000Mbps/dp/B07Q39V2CL/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B07Q39V2CL <https://www.amazon.com/Z83-Pro-Computer-x5-Z8350-Processor-1000Mbps/dp/B07Q39V2CL/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B07Q39V2CL>

Regards