[mythtv-users] 6.6 Short Schedule

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Apr 14 21:39:29 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 05:56:26PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> It is not just MythTV.  "Event TV" (which includes
> both breaking news and live sports that run
> beyond their scheduled times) throws all the
> broadcasters off their carefully arranged schedules
> which that have been provided to guide providers
> and causes problems for all DVRs.

Givinig credit where credit is due, at least a couple of times this TV
season, CBS and/or Gracenote have done something nice for DVR users.
When there was a national preemption for whatever reason and missed
episodes were broadcast the next week, they used new programids so
they wouldn't be marked as duplicates or previously recorded.

> In the end, MythTV gets things right a lot of
> the time (better than some commercial
> offerings), but it cannot control external
> events (if it could do *that* it would make it
> the one ultimate solution).

If someone is feeling particularly ambitious, they could write a
chyron detector or modify mythcommflag to detect them.  When detected,
we could try to take some appropriate action.  Of course, we'd need a
way to disable or ignore them when they are supposed to be there like
on some news and sports shows.

David
--
David Engel