[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Harmony Hub alternative with actual remote

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 15:47:01 UTC 2021

On 4/14/21 9:09 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/11/2021 09:59 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> On 11/04/2021 13:51, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

>>> The hard part to replace with a home
>>> grown solution is typically the physical
>>> remote, as not only do you have to
>>> design the remote, you then have to
>>> work with a contract manufacturer to
>>> be able to actually make it(*), and then
>>> place orders with a large number of
>>> units to amortize all the costs.
>>>

>>> (*) And most of the time have on-site
>>> people to work and validate the process
>>> (which also means people who can
>>> speak the native language of the
>>> country where the manufacturing is
>>> done, which means yet another
>>> contract employee).
>>>
>> Presumably one simply uses one of the many remotes we have kicking
>> about in that box
>
> The problem is the remotes in that box don't send RF to a hub which
> then sends IR to devices, but instead sends IR line of sight (plus
> bounce) to whatever device/room the remote is pointed at. Finding a
> remote is easy.  Finding a whole house remote that works as well as
> the Harmony remote and without walls in the way (and the X10 Lola
> style/Remote Wonder remotes aren't even close) is a challenge.
>
>> and programs the software to understand that one, taking the commands
>> and sending them off in whatever format and medium the target requires.
>>

> I agree with Gary.  Replacing the Harmony remote--not the
> software/hub--is the challenge.
>
> Before Harmony I had even looked at BLE remote development kits, like
> https://www.ti.com/tool/CC2541DK-RC , but the remote devices
> themselves were so much lower quality than the Harmony remotes.
>
> Mike

On the recently made Samsung UHDs, their remote can control the TV,
Sound system, Fire TV 4k, almost any device that supports CEC. So my
wife is perfectly happy using it for Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube,
Leanfront, and mythfrontend.

However, I use many more capabilities of mythfrontend on Android so I
paired and old BT Mac wireless keyboard to my Shield TV so I could
easily hit the many keys that are needed for edits, searches, etc.

Where the Harmony Smart Control Hub and remote really shine is turning
on/off and setting input modes of all the devices in a non-trivial setup.

So here's hoping the Logitech folks don't pull the plug on there app or
server for a long time.

Jim A.