[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Harmony Hub alternative with actual remote

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 14 13:09:41 UTC 2021

On 04/11/2021 09:59 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 11/04/2021 13:51, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 11:30 AM Jim Abernathy
>> <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So I'll be very interested in finding a new solution. Might be a good
>>> project for a couple of Arduino/Circuitpython MCUs and RPI.
>>
>> The hard part to replace with a home
>> grown solution is typically the physical
>> remote, as not only do you have to
>> design the remote, you then have to
>> work with a contract manufacturer to
>> be able to actually make it(*), and then
>> place orders with a large number of
>> units to amortize all the costs.
>>

>> (*) And most of the time have on-site
>> people to work and validate the process
>> (which also means people who can
>> speak the native language of the
>> country where the manufacturing is
>> done, which means yet another
>> contract employee).
>>
> Presumably one simply uses one of the many remotes we have kicking
> about in that box

The problem is the remotes in that box don't send RF to a hub which then
sends IR to devices, but instead sends IR line of sight (plus bounce) to
whatever device/room the remote is pointed at.  Finding a remote is
easy.  Finding a whole house remote that works as well as the Harmony
remote and without walls in the way (and the X10 Lola style/Remote
Wonder remotes aren't even close) is a challenge.

> and programs the software to understand that one, taking the commands
> and sending them off in whatever format and medium the target requires.

I agree with Gary.  Replacing the Harmony remote--not the
software/hub--is the challenge.

Before Harmony I had even looked at BLE remote development kits, like
https://www.ti.com/tool/CC2541DK-RC , but the remote devices themselves
were so much lower quality than the Harmony remotes.

Mike