[mythtv-users] Silicon Dust HDHR5-4K

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:18:20 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 1:02 PM Nick Kelsey <mythtv at silicondust.com> wrote:

> > Ick!!!!  I was just reading the thread over on silicondust:
> > https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74323&start=30
> > I cannot believe that some stations are generating interlaced HEVC! I
> > did not add support for that when I added the HEVC decoding to MythTV.
> > The HEVC spec says that support for interlacing is an extension to the
> > spec and most people should not have to worry about it. Interlacing
> > should be dead!
> >
> Yep, genuine 1950's interlacing technology :-)
>
> The header has a flag to indicate interlaced. The resolution is reported
> as 1920 x 540 with 1:1 pixel aspect ratio.
>
> The header also has a flag to indicate progressive - not sure what you
> are meant to do if both flags are set.
>
> VLC gets it wrong (displays square pixel 1920x540). Microsoft gets it
> wrong (displays square pixel 1920x540). LG TVs decode correctly.
>
> Going to be a mess.
>
> Nick - Silicondust

Hi Nick,

I am glad you still pay attention to us MythTV folks ;-)  Are you working
on a 4 ATSC 3.0 tuner version of the HDHR5-4K box? I already have plenty of
HDHR ATSC 1.0 boxes. I am even still using some HDHR V1 dual tuner boxes.
So, I don't really need an HDHR with more ATSC 1.0 tuners.

I am guessing it will be several more months before Albuquerque gets ATSC
3.0, but once it rolls out here I will be ordering a tuner from you, of
some sort.

Thanks,

John