[mythtv-users] Silicon Dust HDHR5-4K

Nick Kelsey mythtv at silicondust.com
Mon Oct 26 19:00:52 UTC 2020

> Ick!!!!  I was just reading the thread over on silicondust:
> https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74323&start=30
> I cannot believe that some stations are generating interlaced HEVC! I
> did not add support for that when I added the HEVC decoding to MythTV.
> The HEVC spec says that support for interlacing is an extension to the
> spec and most people should not have to worry about it. Interlacing
> should be dead!

Yep, genuine 1950's interlacing technology :-)

The header has a flag to indicate interlaced. The resolution is reported
as 1920 x 540 with 1:1 pixel aspect ratio.

The header also has a flag to indicate progressive - not sure what you
are meant to do if both flags are set.

VLC gets it wrong (displays square pixel 1920x540). Microsoft gets it
wrong (displays square pixel 1920x540). LG TVs decode correctly.

Going to be a mess.

Nick - Silicondust