[mythtv-users] 100% backend CPU usage

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 08:17:43 UTC 2020

Dear list,

On a couple of occasions I have woken up to a backend whose CPU usage
had been at 100% for the past several hours. Recordings had started but
had not finished at their scheduled times leaving me with huge recording
files. Restarting the backend was enough to resurrect the machine.

I looked at the logs, which were also large but not explosively so, but
it was still hard to discern what had actually happened. Still, I
encountered many entries like this:

mythbackend: mythbackend[29881]: E CoreContext mainserver.cpp:3249
(HandleAddChildInput) MainServer: HandleAddChildInput: Failed to add
child to input 6

That input corresponds with one of 4 HDHR DVB-C tuners.

I noticed that I had misconfigured it by setting maxrecordings to 6. I
have now set it to a more reasonable 2 and will monitor over the next
week to see whether the issue returns.

HTH, Jan