[mythtv-users] ATSC 3 and DRM

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Thu May 7 18:54:14 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 1:27 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 4:46 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It'll be interesting to see how many stations/networks block recordings
> when things move to ATSC3.
> >

> The "primary" feed for ATSC 3.0 will need
> to be free-to-air (per current regulations),
> just like today (although things do get
> complicated when stations share a transmitter,
> as many will be during the initial stages of
> roll-outs, but for at least the network
> affiliates, their DMA designation (exclusivity)
> will require FTA at least for now, and most
> stations want to keep that network content
> monopoly that results in large payments by
> others).

[snip]

Canadian here, so not up on FCC regs, but I think I knew the main channel
had to be FTA. But my question was more about the "copy" flags in ATSC3
DRM. So NBC OTA affiliates have to air NBC FTA but can the network set the
ATSC3 "copy none" flag on their main channel to stop Myth, Tablo, etc from
recording, say, *SVU* and football?