[mythtv-users] ATSC 3 and DRM

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:25:28 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 4:46 PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> It'll be interesting to see how many stations/networks block recordings when things move to ATSC3.

The "primary" feed for ATSC 3.0 will need
to be free-to-air (per current regulations),
just like today (although things do get
complicated when stations share a transmitter,
as many will be during the initial stages of
roll-outs, but for at least the network
affiliates, their DMA designation (exclusivity)
will require FTA at least for now, and most
stations want to keep that network content
monopoly that results in large payments by
others).

And also be aware that the stations are
required to continue to broadcast in ATSC 1.0
for at least five years (although that, too, will
likely be on shared facilities), so it is not
like there will be a cut over date, it will
just be new options for an extended period
of time ("The reports of my death are greatly
exaggerated").

Note that FTA requirement does not specify
that the quality of the primary channel is good
(many content providers have moved their
best(??) content to paid services, for example
CBS All Access, and that trend is likely to
continue, perhaps leaving some OTA stations
and networks even more of a content
wasteland)

Secondary content *may* be encrypted, and
there is even a company planning to do so
starting in Boise ID this year:

   https://www.cnet.com/news/cutting-the-cord-is-about-to-get-easier-for-people-without-high-speed-internet/

which intends to offer, essentially, an OTT IPTV
service that just happens to use the airwaves.