[mythtv-users] dvb-s stick

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Mar 28 02:01:57 UTC 2020

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 19:48:10 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have something like
>
>https://shop.sundtek.de/en/Digital-TV-Sticks/Sundtek-SkyTV-Ultimate-8-DVB-S-S2-S2X-oxid.html
>
>but it does no more work correctly and I want to buy a new dvb-s stick
>for german tv.
>
>I searched a lot in France (where I live) and in Germany, but I could
>not find any other stick working under GNU/Linux.
>
>any hints ?
>
>sincerely
>
>Klaus

TBS does several USB tuners:

https://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs-tv-turner-usb.html

One is an older model dual DVB-S2:

https://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs5990-dvb-s2-ci-tv-tuner-usb.html

but as it also has the CI interface it will cost more.  Unless you
want the CI interface.  They also have modern multi-standard USB
tuners that do DVB-S2, such as this:

https://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs5520se_multi-standard_tv_tuner_usb_box.html

You need a recent version of MythTV (>= v30 I believe) to handle
multi-standard tuners properly, as MythTV needs to set the standard
when it talks to the tuner.  The multi-standard tuners seem to be the
right ones if you want DVB-S2X for future proofing.

You normally have to compile and install the TBS drivers each time the
kernel is updated.  If you are using other non-TBS tuners,
occasionally the version of driver for them in the TBS driver set has
problems.

USB DVB-S2 tuners are not usually in "stick" format, as they have to
provide for an 18 volt power supply to run the dish's LNB and that
takes more room than will fit in a stick.  Personally, I prefer not to
have stick format tuners directly in USB socket as they are then very
vulnerable to being bumped and that killing either the tuner or the
USB socket.  And the stick will usually be too big and overlap the
next USB socket.  So the slightly larger format of most USB DVB-S2
tuners on the end of a USB cable suits me better anyway.