[mythtv-users] Version 30 bugs

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Fri Mar 20 16:48:45 UTC 2020

On 3/20/20 9:14 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 08:01:31 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> I recently upgraded my Fedora system and with it MythTV from 29 to 30.
>> Two things are broken.  The first is that  FF/REW will crash the
>> frontend if I'm not careful with it (press the buttons too fast,
>> especially reversing while going fast, sticky keys on). The other is
>> mythcommflag.  It seems to hang on certain shows, no errors, no crash,
>> just never finishes.  Then, other shows don't get done (I guess) due to
>> the one that's hung.  I just found about 8 processes sitting there, the
>> oldest was three days old.  (I got about 4G of RAM back when I killed them).
>>
>> Anyone heard of these?  One thing I've thought about is the fact that
>> I've been upgrading Myth over quite a few versions (don't remember when
>> I started, but maybe 18-is?) and I've never started from scratch.  Might
>> there be old settings hanging around in my database that are
>> incompatible with the new versions?  (FF/REW got really crapping in V29,
>> BTW.  Tends to over/undershoot by 20-30 seconds when I go back to play,
>> and I have to use it a lot because commercial flagging also degraded.)
>>
>> Any way, I thought I might just dump the database and start over. If I
>> do that, can I import all of my recordings and get all the info back?
>> Will I loose all the previous recordings info or can that be imported,
>> too?  Is there a page with a procedure I can follow?
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts.
>>
>> Dave D.
> Is there any particular reason you still use FF and REW?  It is much
> better to use the skip forwards and backwards keys - it is very fast
> an accurate to skip over ad breaks.  The old FF/REW way of doing it is
> how VCRs used to work, but is not anywhere near as good as using skip
> on digital media.  I have simply never used FF/REW since I started
> using MythTV and discovered the skip keys and configured them
> properly.

Could you elaborate on "properly"?  Perhaps a documentation page I
should read?  I have tried the jumping ahead in chunks of time, but I
much prefer being able to watch the content speed by and be able to hit
Play when I see content I want to watch.  Otherwise you're jumping back
and forth, trying to find the end of the pledge drive.  MythTV used to
be very good at resuming at just the right spot when you hit "Play", but
V29 changed that behavior and I have yet to figure out how to get it
configured to work the same.  I was hoping V30 would "fix" the issue,
but alas, it is still the same.  I'd be open to learning a new way, though.

Dave D.