[mythtv-users] v31 mythtv-setup behavior?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:05:13 UTC 2020

I notices a strange message that I sat puzzled at for a while when I
tried to do mythtv-setup via ssl.

The message was:

jim at jim-development:~$ mythtv-setup
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be
insecure.

I had no clue at first. In the past I had to do "systemctl stop
mythtv-backend.service" before running mythtv-setup.

But I've gotten used to V31 having mythtv-setup do all the stopping and
starting itself correctly like in the olden days.

Once I remembered to logout and back in using "ssh -X jim at 192.168.0.41"
it worked.

I guess the password warning is always there but you don't see if
because the mythtv-setup screen pops up over it if you are doing ssh
correctly.

Not sure if it's possible, but if mythtv-setup could test for some idiot
using ssh without the -X or -Y and tell him that would be great.

Jim A