[mythtv-users] XMLTV out of date on Ubuntu 18.04

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 16:37:04 UTC 2020

On 3/6/20 10:40 AM, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 06/03/2020 12:41, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> In the Mythtv XMLTV wiki it mentions that xmltv package is out of
>> date which it is (0.5.7) It mentions a fix of adding:
>>
>> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main
>>
>> to the /etc/apt/sources.list, etc.
>>
>> However you can't do the install because of a missing key signature.
>>
>> The bottom line is I can get xmltv installed and up to date, but it's
>> a real pain using the old package, plus 2 different github installs
>> to finally get there.
>>
>> My point is, since v31 requires the use of XMLTV for ScheduleDirect
>> EPG it needs to be easier.  I use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and it's
>> not even up to date on the xmltv github site.
>>
>> Maybe it's a simple fix of the Mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions to tell
>> the user how to get the xmltv from the right repository along with
>> the key?
>>
>> Jim A
>>
> Jim,
>
> I presume the mythtv xmltv wiki page is https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV
>
> Luckily it did not work, and I  would not recommend mixing Ubuntu
> repositories with debian repositories, it can lead to all sorts of
> complications.
>
> As is common with Ubuntu and Debian repositories many things only get
> updated at release time.
>
> To get the latest XMLTV version (now hosted at github, previously
> sourceforge), the following works for Ubuntu, Debian (Buster/Bullseye)
> and Raspbian Buster
>
> # ensure git and make are installed
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt install git make
>
> mkdir -p build
> cd build
> git clone https://github.com/XMLTV/xmltv.git
> cd xmltv
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> sudo make install
>
> The 'sudo make install' puts the grabbers in /usr/local/bin, the
> original versions are still in/usr/bin , but will not be used
> (/usr/local/bin is checked in $PATH  before /usr/bin/)
>
> use 'tv_find_grabbers' to list all grabbers, including location
>
> As of writing, tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite is at version 1.67 in github.
>
> Mike

On a clean system the perl Makefile.PL doesn't work. Something is
missing. I can get around it by first installing xmltv from the Ubuntu
repository to get some needed perl pieces. Short of that it's a long
list of perl pieces you have to know how to install before you can proceed.

Console log:

jim at jim-development:~/build/xmltv$ perl Makefile.PL
Can't locate Term/ReadKey.pm in @INC (you may need to install the
Term::ReadKey module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.26.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.26 /usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26 /usr/share/perl/5.26
/usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at
./lib/Ask/Term.pm line 9.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./lib/Ask/Term.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at Makefile.PL line 244.

Jim A