[mythtv-users] XMLTV out of date on Ubuntu 18.04

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:40:35 UTC 2020

On 06/03/2020 12:41, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> In the Mythtv XMLTV wiki it mentions that xmltv package is out of date
> which it is (0.5.7) It mentions a fix of adding:
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main
>
> to the /etc/apt/sources.list, etc.
>
> However you can't do the install because of a missing key signature.
>
> The bottom line is I can get xmltv installed and up to date, but it's
> a real pain using the old package, plus 2 different github installs to
> finally get there.
>
> My point is, since v31 requires the use of XMLTV for ScheduleDirect
> EPG it needs to be easier.  I use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and it's
> not even up to date on the xmltv github site.
>
> Maybe it's a simple fix of the Mythtv XMLTV wiki instructions to tell
> the user how to get the xmltv from the right repository along with the
> key?
>
> Jim A

Jim,

I presume the mythtv xmltv wiki page is https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV

Luckily it did not work, and I  would not recommend mixing Ubuntu
repositories with debian repositories, it can lead to all sorts of
complications.

As is common with Ubuntu and Debian repositories many things only get
updated at release time.

To get the latest XMLTV version (now hosted at github, previously
sourceforge), the following works for Ubuntu, Debian (Buster/Bullseye)
and Raspbian Buster

# ensure git and make are installed
sudo apt update
sudo apt install git make

mkdir -p build
cd build
git clone https://github.com/XMLTV/xmltv.git
cd xmltv
perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
sudo make install

The 'sudo make install' puts the grabbers in /usr/local/bin, the
original versions are still in/usr/bin , but will not be used
(/usr/local/bin is checked in $PATH  before /usr/bin/)

use 'tv_find_grabbers' to list all grabbers, including location

As of writing, tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite is at version 1.67 in github.

Mike