[mythtv-users] Leanfront observations

Yeechang Lee ylee at columbia.edu
Tue Mar 3 22:50:15 UTC 2020

Peter Bennett says:
> > * Android keycode MEDIA_STOP does nothing. I suggest it
> >   unconditionally exits playback.
> What type of remote are you using? I have not done much to support
> other than the basic keys. I don't know the best way to test
> this. There are "android remote" apps for a phone but they also seem
> to only have the basic keys.

I am using the same MX-500/600 universal remote I used with my old
frontend, but with Flirc on Shield TV. I programmed Flirc to generate
the mentioned Android keycodes; rather, I programmed Flirc to generate
Windows media keys, which Android interprets as the matching Android
keycodes.

While the mainstream Android-box remotes (Shield TV, Fire TV) indeed
slavishly follow Apple's misguided ultra-minimalism and don't have
STOP and PLAY (as opposed to PLAY/PAUSE) buttons, third-party remotes
do; an example is the WeChip G30
(<https://www.amazon.com/WeChip-Remote-Wireless-Control-Sensing/dp/B07TF698DF/>),
explicitly supported by Shield TV. Logitech Harmony is another, I
believe (it has the physical buttons, at least).

> > * Once you implement the equivalent of the mainline client's
> >   DEBUGOSD, can Android keycode INFO be used for this?
> I have no plans to implement that. I don't know if those stats are
> available from exoplayer. Also above comment about remote applies.

Understood. Can you at least have the OSD pop up when INFO is pushed?
I know it's available with DPAD_CENTER, but I'm still too used to
being able to pop it up in Mythfrontend with the Info button on my
remote, which I have again programmed to generate INFO in Android TV.

> The android TV boxes seem to be optimized for hevc when using
> 4k. h264 with 4k does not work that well, especially in extreme
> conditions. At any rate, I am only supporting what exoplayer
> supports.

The 400mbps clip and the other 140mbps clip are HEVC. I figured that
you are piggybacking off the built-in Android playback support, so I
guess it must be the cause of the aforementioned playback and audio
failures.

> The skew in the launcher icon was so that if you have both mythfrontend
> and leanfront installed you can see which is which. Perhaps there is a
> better way to indicate it, but I am no expert at creating graphics.

Sorry, I'd forgotten that the mainline client already uses the rounded
logo. I'm sure that someone will contribute something more attractive
for Leanfront.

--
Frontend:		Apple MacBook Pro 2012, Nvidia Shield 2017
Backend:		HP Microserver N40L 1.5GHz with 4x3TB HDDs