[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend freezing and VDPAU?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 01:48:10 UTC 2020

I continue my search for why my mythfrontend is locking up. As I have said,
the real bother is that it basically requires a restart of the computer to
clear up the problem as I have discussed previously.

The error I am seeing in the log is this
*Decoder timed out waiting for free video buffers*

What I have found is that several others have had this problem and have
isolated it to VDPAU with an interlaced source. We had a lock up again last
night and sure enough the source was 1080i and the output is 1080p.

There does not seem to be a solution online that I can find.

Here is one thread https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?t=2735
Here is another
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1037255/linux/mythtv-errors-lockups-with-vdpau-and-340-or-390-drivers-/

My question is, am I using the right driver and video configuration? Next
question, what should I use if VDPAU is unacceptable?

I am running Mythbuntu
Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
MythTV Version : v0.28.2-6-g9031599
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+
6G memory
GeForce GTX 750Ti
nvidia 390 driver
VDPAU High Quality