[mythtv-users] [mythtv] segfault in libmysqlclient.so.21

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 19:18:49 UTC 2020

On 6/16/20 11:33 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 10:19:02 -0500, you wrote:
>

>> The "crazy password" is the encrypted value of the real password.
>> For example, if the password is mythtv:
>>
>> MariaDB [mythconverg]> SELECT PASSWORD('mythtv');
>> +-------------------------------------------+
>> | PASSWORD('mythtv')                        |
>> +-------------------------------------------+
>> | *CC8F35F587CA5A556B4132C2407E556D92172FFC |
>> +-------------------------------------------+
>>
>> The above doesn't work in MySQL v8.
> The password has to match the password in your config.xml file -
> mythconverg_restore.pl defaults to looking there for a password to
> access the database.  The password hashing is such that it should not
> be reversible, so you can not retrieve the password from the database.
> You can take the password in the config.xml file and generate a hashed
> one from it using the PASSWORD() function and you can then see if that
> hashed password matches the one in the database, as above.
>
> Passwords and GRANTs are an area where MySQL and MariaDB now have some
> differences.  As I have been using MariaDB for quite a few years, I am
> not up to date with how MySQL is doing it.

I think in my case the solution is much simpler. I did a test run.

I have a Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop running only mythtv-frontend. Here's the
steps I did:

1. sudo apt remove --purge mythtv-frontend

2. delete /etc/mythtv and $HOME/.mythtv

3. rename host to the same name as my production mythtv-backend that
uses mariadb.

4. power off the production backend

5. apt install mythtv

6.  mkdir -p $HOME/.mythtv
      ln -s -f /etc/mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv/config.xml

7.  /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database
--create_database --filename /full path to directory of database backup.
(BTW, the restore was successful without any errors)

8. copy recording files over to test system

9. mythtv-setup and configure the settings that need to change on the
test system. (different tuners and different file locations.)

10. I then installed XMLTV the same as on my production system and now
it's identical to my production system from a content and schedule point
of view.

FYI,  I know from experience if I install a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 and fresh
mythtv I do not have to setup the link for the config.xml file for my
user 'jim' to the /etc/mythtv/config.xml. However, because I still had
the user 'jim' as a part of the mythtv group or because the mythtv user
was already created I had to do the link.  I think there must be some
install logic that skips the link setup if certain thinks already exist.

Jim A