[mythtv-users] Can I setup xmltv before changing grabbers in mythtv-setup?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 22:25:41 UTC 2020

On 6/8/20 4:53 PM, Mark Goldberg wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 you wrote:
>
>> On 6/8/20 6:59 AM, Mark Goldberg wrote:
>>> I'm currently using the Data Direct grabber. Can I setup XMLTV from the
>>> command line per the Wiki,
>>
>> Yes. Changing schedulesdirect' to'tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlit' is
>> the "on/off" switch, if you will (I use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite.)
>>
>> matching channels with my current lineups before
>>> making any changes in mythtv-setup? If it goes south or takes a week to
>>> accomplish, I don't want Mythtv to be down. I will need two lineups, local
>>> off the air and Dish. After setting up XMLTV, then I'd like to go into
>>> mythtv-setup and change grabbers and lineups.
>>>
>> That's the way I did it.
>>
>> There's a note near the top of the Wiki that mentions:
>> ... By running all programs as user mythtv ... You'll
>> really want to do that. After things are setup, then
>> if you run mythfilldatabase manually, then do that as
>> user mythtv too. Same if MFDB is run out of cron etc.
>
> I don't use systemd to start mythtv. It's started with my own scripts.
> This is an installation that dates back to 2006 but has been upgraded
> many times since. It runs as mythtv and I can log in as such.

Good feedback, I'll change the: "Users of other init systems should
look in files their systems use, such as /etc/init/mythtv-backend"
line to mention scripts or simple command line startup.

Bottom line, if MYTHCONFDIR is in play, adjust paths appropriately.
[We had a user that didn't look 1st and wasted lots of time.]

--
Bill