[mythtv-users] Methods of view Mythtv recordings on new PC

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 12:30:23 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 8:08 AM Mike Hodson <mystica at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 5:54 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately, I'm locked into software that only runs on either Mac or
>> Windows, but my goal is to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. I think I have an
>> empty SSD slot inside the laptop, so that might be the way to do it. My
>> Macs are too old but who can afford new Apple hardware.  So the Dell will
>> satisfy my needs but I have some desires that I'd like to add.  When I
>> travel I need to work on the road including managing mythtv.
>>
>> At the risk of digressing this conversation further, I am curious as to
> what software this is?
> Games, are the most common, and one I cannot entirely disagree with.
>
> But other productivity software, I would contend could be run from a
> virtual machine, within linux, interacting with the same Windows partition
> you currently use on bare metal.
>
> And once you consider that funky/whacky scenario, have you considered
> looking into the Windows Subsystem for Linux, and just putting Ubuntu
> inside of windows?
>
> YMMV, but it might be an interesting dive into a rabbit hole of learning :)
>
> Mike

It's been about 6 years since I moved from Windows 8 to a mixture of Macs
and PCs with Ubuntu. On Macs I can run my TurboTax and my wife's recipe
programs.  Everything else works on any OS like music and photos.

However, my macs are too old to upgrade the OS and TurboTax will not
produce a 2020 version that works with my OS X.  So on Windows I can use
TurboTax and Mastercook recipe software.

Both my wife and I mainly use Ubuntu for all normal stuff and I have even
found a home finance program to replace Quickens called Homebank. There is
a Windows and Linux version of that as well.

If there were a good Linux recipe program that could import either
MacGourmet files or Mastercook files I'd still be completely on Linux.  The
problem is, if you order a Dell PC with Ubuntu there is no support.
However, a Dell PC with Windows is cheaper for some reason and I get 4
years of premium support and accidental damage insurance.  Since I was
getting one of their premium XPS systems I could get 4 years instead of
their included support for $100.

So dual boot may be the best way to go for now.