[mythtv-users] The historical roots of our computer terms

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 20:08:54 UTC 2020

Hoi TimP,

Saturday, June 6, 2020, 9:01:33 PM, you wrote:

> On 2020-06-06 13:41, Ian Evans wrote:
>

> Food for thought from the co-author of OAuth and oEmbed. How easy
> would it be for MythTV menus and docs to refer to primary and secondary backends for example?
>
> Leah Culver (@leahculver) tweeted at 11:32 PM on Fri, Jun 05, 2020:
> I refuse to use "whitelist"/"blacklist" or "master"/"slave"
> terminology for computers. Join me. Words matter.
> (https://twitter.com/leahculver/status/1269109776983547904?s=03)
>

> Agree with the whielist/blacklist removal but master slave isn't a
> race thing with me. My ancient ancestors were probably slaves to the
> Romans and my animals are definiteley my slaves.
>
> Regards,
> Tim.

Hoi TimP,

Just as white and black in white/blacklist has nothing tot do with
race. But that is not the issue.
It is that by present day association it can be felt as hurtful by
some, not the original meaning.
Within the original meaning this is a nonsense discussion, but in the
experienced hurt it is a very real one.
If in such little things you can help people...

In this respect is black Friday much darker as in its original meaning
it was a slave sale!

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven