[mythtv-users] v31 - MacOS Playback - Quarter Screen Issue on Retina - Resolved

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 19:45:52 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 7:37 AM John Hoyt <john.hoyt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel like I'm a relative path away from wrapping this up - just can't
>> seem to stumble on the right path for the requesting application
>> (mythmetadata).
>>

> I believe the latest versions of MythFrontend.app that I just uploaded to
> SourceForge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/) fix the
> python and metadata grabber issues.
>
> Getting python portable was quite a bit more involved than I originally
> thought (been hacking at this for the past week - lots of dead ends...).
> The new builds now include a portable version of python3.  The trick to
> getting this to work was using py2app to build a portable version of one of
> the metadata grabbers (ttvdb.pl seems to work best as it has the most
> dependencies).
>
> I also had to steal a play from the mythbuntu folks where the
> application's executable is now an sh script that sets some local variables
> (mainly PYTHONHOME and PYTHONPATH) then calls the real executable now named
> "mythfrontend.real".
>
> I've tested that the new applications work on a clean (i.e. no macports no
> python3) High Sierra VM, so hopefully no one comes across any new python
> related issues :)
>
> BTW - Are there any devs out there kind enough to take on my Trac ticket
> getting the compile script into the packaging baseline (
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13642)?  It could certainly use a
> review and probably some verified testing by other users - BUT - it seems
> to be working very well for me and I've put a substantial amount of hours
> into it at this point...

Hi John,

I tested this build today on my High Sierra frontend (no macports) and it
could successfully use the metadata grabbers.  Nice work!

I'm still trying to understand why on the High Sierra frontend, regardless
of which build I use, I can't get rid of the Mac OS menu bar at the top of
the screen, either for the gui or playback.  I've been through every
setting in Appearance.
Am I correct in assuming that only the files in the "Catalina" folder were
built with 10.15, and everything else was built with 10.13?

Steve