[mythtv-users] XMLTV setup can't run mythtv-setup as user mythtv

DryHeat122 dryheat122 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 19:18:03 UTC 2020

Trying to get XMLTV set up on a new install of Myth 31.  I have xmltv
compiled and installed, now trying to get it linked to the input sources.
The wiki <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV> is pretty insistent that that
I run mythtv-setup as user mythtv for this step, but when I sudo --login
--user=mythtv and enter mythtv-setup it exits without running setup or
giving any error messages.  I have already run it as myself, if that makes
a difference.  The wiki is a little confusing because it says "If you do
not want to logon to that id or you cannot, you can run the mythtv-setup
from another id on the same backend."  But above that it admonishes "Warning:
It seems users are missing the step that says run the setup as the user
that will run mythfilldatabase (which is frequently user mythtv.)"  How can
I get setup to run under user mythtv?  If I can't, will moving/linking the
.xmltv contents to /home/mythtv do the trick (as suggested in the wiki)?