[mythtv-users] HDHomerun tuners in mythtv v31

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 17:44:05 UTC 2020

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 18:44, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/24/20 2:16 AM, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > Yes, your understanding is correct.
> > For some configuration documentation, see
> >
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#Scanning_with_HDHomeRun_tuners
> > You can also enable the "Schedule as a Group" in the Input Connections
> > window and then virtual tuners are created on demand.
> >
> > Klaas.
> >
> Klaas,
>
> So if the "Schedule as a Group" is checked, then the Max recordings
> number is irrelevant, right? I now have the max recordings set to 4 and
> the "Schedule as a Group" checked.
>
> The reason I ask is when I look at mythweb backend status page I see the
> following which seems to be based on me have 3 HDHR tuners defined and
> Max recordings set to 4, i.e. the 12 lines below:
>
> Encoder 1 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 2 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 3 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 4 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 5 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 6 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 7 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 8 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 9 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 10 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 11 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
> Encoder 12 [ HDHOMERUN : 1043ECAB,1074C841 ] is local on
> rpi4-mythtv-backend and is not recording.
>
> Jim A
>

> Hi Jim,

The "Max Recordings" value is the number of virtual tuners that is
initially created per physical tuner. This is independent of the  "Schedule
as a Group" setting. If you do check the "Schedule as Group" setting
additional virtual tuners are created as needed. Also the display in the
"Input Status" of what the tuners are doing is slightly different.
The advantage of setting a "Max Recordings" value of e.g. 4 initially is
that the resulting numbers are more systematic, e.g. 1 to 4 are for the
first, 5 to 8 are for the second etc. These are the numbers that are
presented in the Scheduled Recordings page so you can then identify which
physical tuner is used.

 Klaas.