[mythtv-users] MariaDB 10.3.22 Database access with Master and Fedora 31

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 11:01:00 UTC 2020

On 02/07/2020 23:36, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 7/2/20 5:26 PM, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> The following worked for MySQL v5.7 and v8.0 plus MariaDB at least
>>> 10.3.iforget,
>>> although initially, it was tested with localhost and is in the mc.sql.
>>>
>>> But I just tried it with an IP and it worked fine (that is, no syntax
>>> errors.)
>>>
>> {{{
>>
>> CREATE USER IF NOT EXISTS 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' IDENTIFIED WITH
>> mysql_native_password;
>> ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';
>>
>> }}}
>>
>> Thanks Bill.  I may try it with a specific address first, because I
>> want to be able to run other systems independently.  This stuff works
>> for me for years and it's scary to have to fiddle with it when it stops.
>>
>> I'm expecting that grant and flush lines will be needed too.
>
> ^^^ Yes.
>
> I expect more of the same as MySQL changes (v8 has already caused
> issues) and MariaDB
> doesn't have the same changes, at least not yet.
>
> <PedPeeve>Too many places with similar information. Makes it tough to
> find/update all of them.</PetPeeve>

Bill:  I haven't tried that ALTER on the Fedora box but did it on a
laptop with *buntu PPA 31 fixes (bionic, mythtv-setup.real, mythbackend,
mythtfrontend.real) which is fine as a FE/BE.

The ALTER doesn't work as I expected, though.  Looking at the GRANTS,
the % is not recognised as a wildcard.  Perhaps the susbstitution
happens later?  133 is the laptop, 68 the F31 box.

{{{
mysql> show grants ;
| Grants for mythtv at localhost                                     |
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'mythtv'@'localhost'                      |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `mythconverg`.* TO 'mythtv'@'localhost' |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show grants for mythtv@'localhost' ;
| Grants for mythtv at localhost                                     |
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'mythtv'@'localhost'                      |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `mythconverg`.* TO 'mythtv'@'localhost' |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show grants for 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' ;
| Grants for mythtv at 192.168.1.%                                     |
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%'                      |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `mythconverg`.* TO 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show grants for 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.133' ;
ERROR 1141 (42000): There is no such grant defined for user 'mythtv' on
host '192.168.1.133'
mysql> show grants for 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.68' ;
ERROR 1141 (42000): There is no such grant defined for user 'mythtv' on
host '192.168.1.68'
mysql>

}}}