[mythtv-users] MariaDB 10.3.22 Database access with Master and Fedora 31

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 22:26:44 UTC 2020

On 02/07/2020 22:09, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 7/2/20 1:05 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> The section below gave me the 'mistake in syntax' response
>>
>> Finally, if you just want to restrict by IP subnet (in this example,
>> the 192.168.1. network):
>>
>>      $ mysql -u root mythconverg
>>      mysql> create user "mythtv"@"192.168.1.%" identified by "mythtv";
>>      mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"192.168.1.%";
>>      mysql> flush privileges;
>
> The following worked for MySQL v5.7 and v8.0 plus MariaDB at least
> 10.3.iforget,
> although initially, it was tested with localhost and is in the mc.sql.
>
> But I just tried it with an IP and it worked fine (that is, no syntax
> errors.)

{{{

CREATE USER IF NOT EXISTS 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' IDENTIFIED WITH
mysql_native_password;
ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';

}}}

Thanks Bill.  I may try it with a specific address first, because I want
to be able to run other systems independently.  This stuff works for me
for years and it's scary to have to fiddle with it when it stops.

I'm expecting that grant and flush lines will be needed too.

John