[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 IP tuner

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Jan 5 04:22:17 UTC 2020

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 18:15:08 +0000, you wrote:

>Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> For IP tuners, if you have an old PC lying around, you can make our
>> own with any tuner(s) that will run in the PC.  Or do it in your
>> current MythTV box, which is what I do.  The easiest way is probably
>> to install TVHeadEnd and let it run the tuners and make them available
>> as IP tuners.  I took a different path and have my DVB-S2 tuners
>> available as SAT>IP tuners using minisatip.
>
>I am curious, is there an advantage to doing it either of those ways vs running a MythTV slave backend on the PC instead ?
>I see that there's a DVB-T2 hat for the Raspberry Pi, and it would be easy to stick one of those in the attic where I've got access to a spare antenna feed and my network. But is it better to run TVHeadEnd or Myth Backend on it ?
>
>Mind you, I'll need to find time to build a more up to date system first - I'm still running 0.24.1, because it isn't broken :-)

A slave backend is easier to work with, as it can scan the tuners.  If
you use TVHeadEnd, I do not believe MythTV has any software to do
channel scans on any of the types of IP tuners that TVHeadEnd can
create.  MythTV only has scanning capability for specific networked
tuners such as the Silicon Dust ones.

The advantage of using IP tuners is that other software can also use
them. I have Windows software that works with SAT>IP tuners (and can
do channel scans on them), for example.  And some SAT>IP software on
my tablet,although I very rarely use that.

But the main reason I am using IP tuners is that I have an encrypted
pay TV satellite service, and I can provide decrypted SAT>IP tuners
for MythTV to record from.