[mythtv-users] ADMIN: emails from mythtv-users bouncing with a reason that shouldn't exist.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 4 02:15:27 UTC 2020

Hi,

I'm switching over to a faster computer and more modern version of
Debian (from 7 to 10) and the new version of exim4 is bouncing emails
from mythtv-users only, all the other mailing lists appear to be working
fine.  This is what fetchmail tells me:

2 messages for afc54 at comcast.net at imap.comcast.net.
reading message afc54 at comcast.net@imap.ge.xfinity.com:1 of 2 (6659
header octets) (1540 body octets) flushed
fetchmail: SMTP error: 550 maximum allowed line length is 998 octets,
got 1039
fetchmail: mail from MAILER-DAEMON@<internal name of machine> bounced to
mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
fetchmail: SMTP listener refused delivery
reading message afc54 at comcast.net@imap.ge.xfinity.com:2 of 2 (5809
header octets) (4266 body octets) flushed

The second message went through just fine.  Is this a problem with the
mythtv.org mailer?  Everything I've found when searching for this error
is old (from 2016) and says that this error shouldn't happen and is
caused by misconfigured mailers that don't adhere to standards.

Has anyone else seen this? I presume other people are running modern
email software.

Augustine