[mythtv-users] ATSC channel not detected with ATI TV Wonder 600

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 16:43:47 UTC 2020

On 03/01/2020 14:45, Will Dormann wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> My local NBC station (WPXI) is having a spat with the local cable
> providers, and as such is currently being blacked out until an agreement
> is reached. I figured that this world be a good time to dig out my old
> USB ATI TV Wonder 600 adapter and just record it ATSC until the parties
> involved figure out how to maximize their revenue.
>
> The problem: the one channel I care about seems to be invisible to my
> ATSC tuner. I've used the scan capability built in to MythTV, as well as
> command-line tools. All of the local stations that I expect are there
> except for WPXI!
>
> The same antenna in the same position plugged directly into the TV
> detects the channel just fine, in perfect quality.
>
> One potentially relevant item is this:
> https://www.wpxi.com/station/wpxi-channel-11-do-you-watch-us-with-an-antenna-you-ll-need-to-re-scan-your-television/971871289/
>
> I'm pretty sure that I was able to pick up the channel via antenna in
> the past, but that was years ago.
>
> Is it possible that the station changed to a frequency that is somehow
> unsupported by my TV Wonder 600 adapter?   (But still supported by my
> actual TV?)
> Might there be any workaround to get things working OK?
>
> Thanks!
> -WD

Out of my comfort zone/continent, but

https://nocable.org/browse-stations/callsign/wpxi-pittsburgh-pa

WPXI is scheduled to start its repacking process on 4/13/2017 and finish
on 8/2/2019. After the repack, the RF channel (not digital) will change
from 48 to 23. This means that to continue to view WPXI, you will need
to rescan your TV after that scheduled completion date.

Note the 'not digital' bit...

John