[mythtv-users] Only one of two IR receivers are configured during boot

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jan 2 02:12:36 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 12:45:42 +1100, you wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 01:48:43AM +0100, Peter Carlsson wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the help! But will this take me all the way?
>
>Nope. What I sent would only set up the symlink.
>
>> Maybe I misunderstand something but this will only ensure that I always
>> have the same symlink names? What I also think is needed is for the
>> Hauppauge card to also load the correct IR driver.
>
>In dmesg after a reboot do you see complaints about missing firmware?
>The Hauppage cards seem to want some firmware blobs that may not be
>available in Debian.
>
>If you know what module is needed you may need to give the kernel
>a prod with a file in /etc/modprobe.d
>This may help:
>https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-500
>
>It may be possible to tell udev to load the module but I don't
>know how at the moment.

Yes, a Nova-T (or TD) 500 card will definitely need the
dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw file.  It does not come in any of the standard
packages - you need to install it yourself.  There is no need to do
anything other than just put the file in /lib/firmware and reboot.  I
am surprised that much at all works on those tuners without it.

I have two of these cards in two different PCs.  Mine are the Nova-TD
500 variant.  What I have for configuring them is this in my
/etc/modprobe.d/options-dvb.conf file:

#Set adapter numbers for Nova-TD 500 DVB-T card (dual tuners).
options dvb_usb_dib0700 adapter_nr=0,1

which just sets them to be tuners 1 and 2.  And in my
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local-rules.conf file:

# Hauppauge Nova TD-500 remote control IR receiver
SUBSYSTEM=="input", KERNEL=="event*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2040",
ATTRS{idProduct}=="8400", SYMLINK+="lirc0"

which makes the IR receiver /dev/lirc0.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04, but the Debian setup should be very
similar, if not identical.