[mythtv-users] mysql mythtv user issue - fixes/31

Tim Pletcher pletchtd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 20:47:04 UTC 2020

I am using fixes/31 branch installed via mythbuntu ppa on Ubuntu 18.04 and
as of the package release yesterday (11-Feb-2020), mythbackend startup
fails with error:

mythbackend[9180]: E CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:236 (OpenDatabase) Driver
error was [1/1045]:#012QMYSQL: Unable to connect#012Database error
was:#012Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I was also unable to login to mysql as the mythtv user using the previously
configured password in the mythtv user config.xml file.  To fix, I had to
log into the mysql root account and reconfigure the mythtv mysql user
password via:

ALTER USER 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'my_prior_password';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

After doing the above, the backend would start without issue.  However, the
problem recurred when updating to the current mythbuntu package release
today.

I assume this relates to commit beb8843
<https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/beb8a43e78976b08eca0401ac7fa9830379ce408>in
fixes/31 or 5c632ca
<https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/commit/5c632ca1df84e257e57ab894456ebc25fff2479c>
in the packaging repo.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks,
Tim