[mythtv-users] Leanfrontend and parental controls?

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Tue Apr 7 20:08:13 UTC 2020

On 4/7/20 12:59 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 4/7/20 2:58 PM, Michael wrote:

>>> No - I have considered that. Never having used parental controls, I
>>> am not familiar with how they work. It is possibly something I can
>>> look into. leanfront is a one man effort at the moment. Can you let
>>> me know how you use parental controls? Is it for recordings only or
>>> videos as well? Does it depend on the ratings from the listing service?
>>

>> Hi Peter,
>>

>> Parental controls are in mythvideo only as far as I know:
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library#Parental_Controls. Any time
>> I post about parental controls, it seems like I am one of the only
>> persons using this capability :)
>>

>> The levels are pretty basic with only 1-4.   They are not
>> automatically set.   The info is in the videometadata table in
>> showlevel.   I have a script that sets these levels in the DB based
>> on directory structure.
>>

>> in mythvideo, you can set a default level to use when entering. Then
>> you can press 1-4 to change levels.   You can set a pin for each
>> level if you want.  If there is no pin, you can change without being
>> promoted.   So, for example, in the living room, I default to 2.   My
>> daughter can get to all the kid movies and some PG-13 movies.   To
>> get to R or above, you would have to select 3 on the remote and you
>> would be prompted for a pin. Then you could see/browse these
>> movies.   I think all of the checking/validation/etc happens on the
>> frontend - so it is really just a filter of what is being displayed.
>>

>> Not a priority and like I said, I am not sure how many people use
>> this feature.
>>

>> Michael
>>

> Hi Michael
>
> Do you use "Enable Automatic Parental Level from Rating"?
>
> In the USA for movies those are G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17. If you have TV
> shows in your videos they seem to be rated TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-G, TV-PG,
> TV-14, TV-MA. In the UK, the movie ratings are Uc, U, PG, 12A, 12, 15,
> 18, R18. Every country has a different system.
>
> Other than that, you need an entry in settings to allow a pin for each
> level. I notice that items you are not allowed to see are not even
> shown in the list.
>
> It should not be too difficult ...

Hi Peter,

I do not currently use the automatic parental level from rating.   I
think as my child gets older, it might make sense, but I haven't made
any plans to use it so far.   Today, I just symlink files into a kids
folder that I want her to see and keep everything else at a higher rating.

That is correct, that you can't even see videos if they are not rated at
the current level or lower.  I don't recall how it handles videos with
no rating.  I would assume they would be visible to all.

I would put this on the 'I am really bored' list for consideration, but
I wouldn't want it to get in the way of other important features   :)
Thanks for the consideration.

Michael