[mythtv-users] Leanfrontend and parental controls?

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 19:59:30 UTC 2020

On 4/7/20 2:58 PM, Michael wrote:
> On 4/7/20 10:03 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>> On 4/6/20 5:14 PM, Michael wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> I was curious if parental controls was a feature that was being
>>> considered for the lean frontend?
>>>

>>> I use this feature a lot to keep the kid away from grown up
>>> movies.    For the front end in her room, it starts at level 1 which
>>> is kids movies only.   The living room starts at level 2 which
>>> includes Kids and more grown up movies, etc.
>>>

>>> Michael
>>>
>> No - I have considered that. Never having used parental controls, I
>> am not familiar with how they work. It is possibly something I can
>> look into. leanfront is a one man effort at the moment. Can you let
>> me know how you use parental controls? Is it for recordings only or
>> videos as well? Does it depend on the ratings from the listing service?
>

> Hi Peter,
>

> Parental controls are in mythvideo only as far as I know:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library#Parental_Controls.   Any
> time I post about parental controls, it seems like I am one of the
> only persons using this capability :)
>

> The levels are pretty basic with only 1-4.   They are not
> automatically set.   The info is in the videometadata table in
> showlevel.   I have a script that sets these levels in the DB based on
> directory structure.
>

> in mythvideo, you can set a default level to use when entering. Then
> you can press 1-4 to change levels.   You can set a pin for each level
> if you want.  If there is no pin, you can change without being
> promoted.   So, for example, in the living room, I default to 2.   My
> daughter can get to all the kid movies and some PG-13 movies.   To get
> to R or above, you would have to select 3 on the remote and you would
> be prompted for a pin.   Then you could see/browse these movies.   I
> think all of the checking/validation/etc happens on the frontend - so
> it is really just a filter of what is being displayed.
>

> Not a priority and like I said, I am not sure how many people use this
> feature.
>

> Michael

Hi Michael

Do you use "Enable Automatic Parental Level from Rating"?

In the USA for movies those are G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17. If you have TV
shows in your videos they seem to be rated TV-Y, TV-Y7, TV-G, TV-PG,
TV-14, TV-MA. In the UK, the movie ratings are Uc, U, PG, 12A, 12, 15,
18, R18. Every country has a different system.

Other than that, you need an entry in settings to allow a pin for each
level. I notice that items you are not allowed to see are not even shown
in the list.

It should not be too difficult ...

Peter