[mythtv-users] Can MythTV support the new raspberry pi dvbt hat - cheap network tuner?

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 12:23:44 UTC 2019

On 06/10/2019 22:33, Simon Lambourn wrote:
> I can shed some light on this thread:
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/620466#620466
> Specifically
> Original post from zackjones88:
> Raspberry Pi have announced a DVBT2 Hat for Pi devices. It is selling
> for approximately 22€. Does anyone know if MythTV can support
> this somehow? Would really like to move to a network tuner so this
> could be a cheap method of giving it a try.
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-tv-hat Thanks
>
> StevenAgent then replied:
> I do not know specifically about Pis or that tuner. But the general
> rule is that MythTV on Linux supports any tuner that has Linux drivers
> that conform to the Linux DVBAPI specification. So if the tuner has
> drivers that create a /dev/dvb device that looks like this:
>
> root at mypvr:/tmp# ll /dev/dvb/adapter0
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Oct 8 04:31 ./
> drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 360 Oct 8 04:31 ../
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 32 Oct 8 04:31 demux0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 33 Oct 8 04:31 dvr0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 35 Oct 8 04:31 frontend0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 34 Oct 8 04:31 net0
>
> then it is likely to work. And so will almost any other Linux
> software that supports DVBAPI tuners.
>
> I've got a raspberry pi 3b with a TV Hat and Raspbian Buster +
> MythTV-Light v0.30, as a slave backend (master on Ubuntu bionic with
> MythTV v0.30).  It doesn't QUITE work.
> The /dev/dev entries are exactly as above, but net0 is missing.  So I
> guess the TV Hat driver doesn't fully implement the Linux DVBAPI
> specification.
>
> Within MythTV, I can define the card and scan for channels (and it
> finds the channels, including HD channels), but the tuner status shows
> as "errored" in the system info.
> Unless I've done something wrong, then it doesn't appear to work with
> MythTV at present.
> TVHeadend works and can stream TV.
>
> (As a new user I hope I have done this reply correctly - I wasn't able
> to access the original email to reply to it so had to quote it from
> the archive.  Apols if this is not the right way).

I have the TV HAT on a Pi3 Model B+ running Raspbian Buster it works as
as a full backend on the Pi3.

I also ran a quick test on the Pi3  as a slave backend and it worked
with a master backend running mythtv 30.

The only issue I had was in Capture Card setup, the Signal and Tuning
timeout defaults (1000, 3000) are too low, I used 7000 and 10000 (only
because I have DVB-S/S2 on another system and just used the same values).

The Signal timeout is used when scanning in mythtv-setup and can miss
channels when at the default of 1000.

Mike