[mythtv-users] Can MythTV support the new raspberry pi dvbt hat - cheap network tuner?

Simon Lambourn simon.lambourn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 21:33:51 UTC 2019

I can shed some light on this thread:
https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/620466#620466
Specifically
Original post from zackjones88:
Raspberry Pi have announced a DVBT2 Hat for Pi devices. It is selling for
approximately 22€. Does anyone know if MythTV can support this
somehow? Would really like to move to a network tuner so this could be a
cheap method of giving it a try.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-tv-hat Thanks

StevenAgent then replied:
I do not know specifically about Pis or that tuner. But the general
rule is that MythTV on Linux supports any tuner that has Linux drivers
that conform to the Linux DVBAPI specification. So if the tuner has
drivers that create a /dev/dvb device that looks like this:

root at mypvr:/tmp# ll /dev/dvb/adapter0
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Oct 8 04:31 ./
drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 360 Oct 8 04:31 ../
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 32 Oct 8 04:31 demux0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 33 Oct 8 04:31 dvr0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 35 Oct 8 04:31 frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 212, 34 Oct 8 04:31 net0

then it is likely to work. And so will almost any other Linux
software that supports DVBAPI tuners.

I've got a raspberry pi 3b with a TV Hat and Raspbian Buster + MythTV-Light
v0.30, as a slave backend (master on Ubuntu bionic with MythTV v0.30).  It
doesn't QUITE work.
The /dev/dev entries are exactly as above, but net0 is missing.  So I guess
the TV Hat driver doesn't fully implement the Linux DVBAPI specification.

Within MythTV, I can define the card and scan for channels (and it finds
the channels, including HD channels), but the tuner status shows as
"errored" in the system info.
Unless I've done something wrong, then it doesn't appear to work with
MythTV at present.
TVHeadend works and can stream TV.

(As a new user I hope I have done this reply correctly - I wasn't able to
access the original email to reply to it so had to quote it from the
archive.  Apols if this is not the right way).